Northfleet Harbour Restoration Trust is a registered charity. Our Aims and Objectives are:
- Restore full use and access to the Historic Northfleet Harbour and its historic slipway.
- Reintroduce spawning fish into the River Fleet and reopen the culvert along Thames Way between Ebbsfleet FC Football Ground and the Railway line.
- Create a centre for sporting activity and a birthplace for future champions.
- Celebrate the very rich and hidden heritage of Northfleet Harbour area by opening it up to the public and providing interpretation and educational resources. To enable this we will ensure a full archaeological investigation to explore the potential Roman and Saxon use of the harbour associated with the recent finds at Ebbsfleet, as well as to fully understand and interpret the modern industrial history from armaments and cement through to shipbuilding
- Restore the Northfleet Mill Pond to create a vital environment to promote biodiversity, fish spawning as well as increasing the flood storage capacity of the River Fleet in the rare (& possibly unlikely) event that it should be needed.
- Restore the 18th Century tidal mill, this will perform several functions, it will aid the migratory fish transit, control water levels, provide interpretation for a valuable heritage asset and allow electricity to be generated for the use of the harbour and to feed into the national grid.
- Provide a base for organisations like The Marine Volunteer Service, and Sea Scouts to operate from, promote educational resources for both heritage marine and boat building skills.
- Create a base for historic vessels and ship builders and repairers, The Kenya Jacaranda and Vigilant have expressed an interest as I am sure would the many other sailing barges and steam ships that struggle to find a base on the Thames with the lack of space available.
- Create much needed employment for the residents of Northfleet, there are no end of studies demonstrating the amount of work generated by ship and boat repairs and other marina service industries.
- Create a marina the size of Gillingham Marina with pretty much full tidal access 24hrs of the day (the Gravesend Canal Basin is only accessible 2hrs a day and is less than a fifth of the size of the huge Northfleet Harbour)
- Provide the only such facility between Ramsgate and London Docks (not even Greenwich has such an exciting and useful offer) and thus a much welcomed and much needed stop off point.
- Provide an attractive destination for restaurants, shops, pubs and clubs and a major tourist destination as part of the neighbouring regeneration scheme.